View previous topic View next topic Go down

Down and Dirty

Post by Vegeta on 8/26/2012, 2:45 am

Valley of the Warrior

Medium Quest

Requirement: Must have Completed Blood on Your Hands

(My Blood on Your Hands mission)

Reward: 2,000 zeni

You’re something special, kid. I haven’t seen somebody this promising since… Well, you get the idea. Think up of a name you would like to be called by the masses. It should strike terror into your opponent’s heart. Then, go to the Valley of the Warrior. It’s time you become one with the Gladiator within. I don’t know what happens there, but I do know this: Some people never return from that place. Be careful.

Last edited by Tapion on 8/26/2012, 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vegeta
Apprentice
Apprentice

Character Info
Level: 3
Race: Saiyan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Down and Dirty

Post by Vegeta on 8/26/2012, 4:27 am

Bonecrusher!

Tapion was deep in thought over what his gladiator name should be. He was told to pick one, because he was going to become a regular fighter in the joint. His amazing triumph over the undefeated insect had earned him a permanent spot on the roster. The fight had not been as hard as they might have thought, or as he made it look, but he accepted the praise and glory nontheless.

Decimator- no, that's stupid.

The idea of fighting didn't bother him. Defeating others in combat had become a second nature to him. He had yet to meet a foe capable of bringing him down. He knew there were many out there, and hoped to one day meet them, but for now, he was content with subpar effort for maximum popularity. The better the crowd liked him, the greater the chance of him getting a shot at the grand title. The idea of slaying Jaq didn't appeal to him, though he would do it if neccessary. To better himself, those who had to, would perish.

Tapion? Nah, that's too wierd. Plus, I don't want the entire universe knowing who I am if I ever leave this place.

He didn't find that selfish, just honest. He believed in the simple fact that the strongest survive, and the weak will die off. Anyone who tried to stop him would become the weak. At the same time, he wouldn't ruthlessesly murder another person without cause. If angered, he would not relent, but he would carefully think through, thuroughly searching for another option under different circumstances.

Then it hit him. After studying himself in a mirrors, he pushed his hair down so it peeked out from beneath his cap. With the green suit on, he resembled a character from a video game he had seen on Earth. It was a good a name as any, in fact, better than most he could come up with. He would call himself...

Link

(Fuck yeah I did.)

The name was perfect. He raced out of his appointed dwellings, (Each gladiator was given their own living space) and found the organizer who arranged the fights each night.

"I've got my name."

"Hit me."

"Link."

"What's that, some kind of pun on a chain? Ehh, I don't care. Just keep up those sweet moves you showed us the other day and call yerself whateva' you want. Remember tho. Killing another dude is against the rules, unless yer fightin' the champ. The crowd ain't payin' us enough fer that kinda entertainment, got it?"

"Of course."

"Alright then. Take that shield and sword and get out there, you're up next." The man said, gesturing toward the items with one hand, then pointing at the door with his thumb. Tapion took that as a vote of confidence and reassurance, but wasn't stupid enough to actually think that.

When Tapion emerged from the fighter lobby, the crowd went wild. Tapion was taken aback by their reaction. Evidently they had been excited for Tapion to return to the arena. His opponent already stood across the arena from him, waiting for the fight to begin. A dark skinned human, who stood at least a head taller than Tapion. The announcer called him Doran. Tapion's heart pounded in anticipation as the announcer prepared to announce his name. He wondered if the crowd would like it or not. After his name rang out of the speakers, the crowded roared with approval, and then the match was signaled to begin.

Tapion raced towards Doran, when he got near, Tapion dived to the ground, weapons extended, and performed a somersault. He recovered while still running, now behind Doran, and got so he was directly behind him. Doran whirled around, but Tapion was upon him. With the slice of a sword, he opened a slice in Doran's armor. The human fell to the ground, and Tapion tossed his shield aside. He then stepped on his opponent's hand which was holding his sword. The force released the blade, which tapion, using his foot, flipped upward into his hand. Then he brought the broad end of the sword down on Doran's back. With two swords, he had the evident upper hand.

The crowd grew louder with each of Tapion's actions, until the point where they could get no louder. Tapion alloted Doran to get to his feet. The loss of the sword had apparently angered him.

"That's mine, give it back!" Doran roared, charging at Tapion.

"Okay, but only because you asked so nicely." Tapion taunted, then threw the sword toward Doran, but several feet above him, beyond his reach. Doran held his shield up as the blade passed over his head and raced toward Tapion. Using minimal agility, Tapion bounded over his adversary and sprinted to catch the sword. It landed nimbly in his fingers, a perfect pass to himself. The crowd boomed, after dying down a bit. Tapion was putting on a good show.

"How about, I lay it down here, and you put down your shield. Then we run in a circle. That way we both get something out of this? Hmm?" Tapion suggested smugly.

"Whatever." Doran retorted, throwing the shield to the ground, "Throw down the sword."

Tapion obliged, then raced in an arc toward the shield. He beat Doran to the shield before he could get even halfway to the sword. Their difference in speed was incredibly apparent, and feeling rather confident, Tapion tossed the second shield near his original one, then darted off toward the sword he had set down. Doran had a substantial lead, of course, but Tapion closed the gap without trouble. Just out of reach, they both lept to get it. Tapion dropped low, performing another astute somersault, and managed to regain his footing as he emerged from the point of impact with the prize. With both weapons in hand, he pointed one at Doran with a sly smurk across his face.

"Well how about that." Tapion said with a laugh, "I got both of them. Wierd huh?"

"You're really smug, twinkle toes. Maybe if you give me one of those swords, we can settle this like men."

"I'll do you one better." Tapion said, throwing both swords toward Doran, so they would easily be catchable.

Doran managed to grab both the swords as the came his way, he then layed eyes on Tapion.

"Now you're in for it."

"I beg to differ." Tapion replied heartily.

"Yeah, we'll see."

Doran charged at Tapion, swinging wildly. Tapion ducked the first bundle of attacks, and spun around Doran. Delivering a punch to his back, Tapion knocked Doran to the arena floor. He then raced off toward the two shields he had piled together.

Equipping the shields, Tapion flipped around to face his opponent. Doran had recovered and was in a dead sprint headed for him. The shields were a tower shield, one slightly larger than the other, because they were administered based on Torso size. Tapion's was smaller, and he wielded it in his left hand. As the two drew near, Tapion dove over Doran's head. The instant he found himself in mid-air above Doran, he swung the shield at his head. Doran went down hard, face planting into the ground. Tapion tossed the shields away and dashed to help the downed man up.

Tapion had won by knock out, and Doran regained consciousness later on, and suffered only minor injuries. Tapion hadn't meant to be so brutal, but accidents happened regularly in hand to hand combat. After his great performance, he was asked to meet with the owner of the whole circuit, in order to determine what was in store for Tapion's future.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You're something special, kid. I haven't seen someone like you since.... Well, you get the idea. My name's Jack Jackson, I understand you call yourself Link. Well, have a seat, Link. I'd like to talk to you."

"Of course, it's nice to meet you."

"Ehh, save the brown nosing for later, after you dissappoint me. Anyway, I understand you took out our little pet-"

"You mean that insect I had to fight? That was hardly a pet, and that whole thing was mixup that nearly got me killed."

"Whatever. Look. You're talented. Among the, if not the very best we got here. I'd love for you to make your way to the top of the ranking, and even fight to become champion."

"Sounds like a plan. I'd love to fight more worthy opponents."

"Yeah, Yeah, Yeah... look kid, we got a policy around here. We have this fancy schmancy test that will let us know if you're ready for the real deal. The crowd love stupid crap like that, and I don't know, but we have all of our top fighters visit 'The Valley of the Warrior'."

"Sounds neat."

"'Neat.' What the hell am I talking to, a fucking mouseketeer? Look, you gotta go there and come back. That's it. We ain't interested in what yah do there, it's yer own business. Just go there, spend some time, then come back. Then we can get you in some real fights. Alright?"

"Sure thing, anything else."

"No, just get outta here. Now's the perfect time to get it done. You already fought today, and if you come back tomorrow, we'll be able to get you penciled in for a late fight. I'd get going if you want in on those spoils."

"Alright. I'll return on the morrow, sir."

Jack Jackson let out a deep sigh. Tapion definitely enjoyed poking fun at others, especially when they know how good of a combatant he is. The conversation was nice, Jack seemed to have little care about Tapion's way of doing things, as long as he made some money, it seemed anything was fine by him. A map had been drawn up for Tapion, once he retrieved it, he set off in search of....

The Valley of the Warrior.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Word Count: 1663
Vegeta
Apprentice
Apprentice

Character Info

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vegeta on 8/26/2012, 8:53 pm

The desolate landscape trailed along in a seemingly endless path. The planet Arlia's wilds were certainly not friendly nor inviting. Tapion could understand why traversing the landscape was considered a right of passage for the gladiators. He contemplated flying, but decided that he'd rather have the authentic experience as opposed to taking a short cut. Hindering himself built character, and Tapion had earned himself a lot of character.

A large mountain created a line for him to follow. The path drawn on his map instructed him to follow along it, and eventually he would come across the valley he was searching for. He briskly jogged along, taking in the view of the landscape. Someone who wasn't experienced in combat might find this terrain impassable, simply because of the menacing feeling one received by walking by themselves.

Tapion was making good time, and by what he could tell had not been traveling too long. As he passed a bulbous curve in the mountain, an oasis of sort was revealed. This was it, The Valley of the Warrior. The map had lead him to this spot, so it must be his destination.

The opening appeared to be, as previously describe, and oasis. Much similar to the ones on Earth, except the color of the shrubbery and such was purple, as opposed to the Earth greens. Tapion couldn't help but smile as he came upon the wonderful encampment. After nothing but desolate, disheartening, and barren wastes, it was a sight for sore eyes.

Tapion treaded across the grassy gnoll, and entered the seemingly tropical environment. Palm trees surrounded a small lake, and Tapion sampled the water. It was unnaturally cold considering the climate of Arlia. After a decent length walk, Tapion decided he deserved a dip in the water. He proceeded to remove his tunic and spring into the water. A chill shot up his spine as he plunged beneath the surface, but dispersed as quickly as it had come upon him. He couldn't see to the bottom while floating at the top. He soaked his head, then emerged from the water.

Taking a deep breath, Tapion allowed the water to wash down his head dripping off in multiple places. The chilly water had done him good, and he felt rejuvenated. The valley had seemed much less menacing than the idea that had been given to him beforehand. It had certainly not lived up to expectations.

When he felt sufficiently rested, his curiosity peaked and he decided to scout to the bottom of the pool. Tapion took a gulp of breath, then dove down into the cool depths. The water was barely penetrable by Tapion's sight. He couldn't see more than a foot or two in front of himself. The water seemed rather clear from the top, but differed as he got deeper.

A few moments passed, and after descending pretty far, Tapion chose to return to the surface in order to catch his breath. The small pond seemed like it would be rather shallow, but no bottom could be reached by this alien. Tapion proceeded to flip himself over and return to the surface.

Tapion was under water much longer than he would have preferred, and he felt as if he should have reached the surface in the time he had set off to reach it. His lungs contracted as he reached a solid surface above himself. A layer of ice had formed over the top of him, while he was beneath the waters.

Panic set in as Tapion punched at the ice. Several swings had torn away a bit of ice, but no light passed through the ice due to it's thickness. His mind racing, Tapion pounded desperately at the ice. He was finally getting the dose of danger he had anticipated at the valley. Tapion had not brought his sword with him, having left it on the ground with his chest piece.

Tapion placed his feet against the ice and pushed off. Attempting the only tactic he could conjure, he turned about in the water as he distanced himself from the ice. With a sufficient amount of ki, Tapion summoned forth a bright, white beam of energy, which he shot upward targeting the frosty covering of the lake.

Gasping for air, he emerged from the water, pulling himself onto the lush grass of the lake's outskirts. He coughed up many mouthful of water he had swallowed, and eventually laid back to recuperate. The run in with the deadly water had opened his eyes to the danger that existed in the valley. No wonder getting there had been so easy, it was to catch unwary adventurers off guard and take their lives. Luckily Tapion had escaped the first trap without serious harm. He was much more alert now, and wouldn't fall for such a simplistic trap again.

Further inspection of the gorge revealed a cave along the expanses wall. He could see out of the oasis and into the deserted wilderness outside. Although the oasis seemed more inviting, Tapion knew where he would rather be. Nevertheless, he had made the pledge to visit the valley, and interpreted that to mean he would need to explore the entirety of it.

In no time Tapion stood outside of the cave. The entrance wasn't large, but big enough that he would be able to go through it. He couldn't see very far in because the cave veered off a few feet inside the hovel. Tapion entered cautiously, watching his head for any stalegtites. Using minimal amounts of ki, Tapion produced a light that allowed him to navigate, since the cave lacked a natural light sorce. He followed the cave's path until he reached a split. One direction a light could be seen, but the path again turned away from the entrance so he couldn't see what it's walls hid. Oppositely, the other pathway had a sound ringing from it's passage, but was rather dark. Tapion shot a ball of ki into the pass, but it disappeared when it passed beyond the entrance. A strange dissuaded Tapion from choosing the darker path, and he set off in the direction of the light. When he rounded the corner, an incredible, nearly-blinding light purged his vision. He averted his eyes quickly, and returned back to the passage that lead to the split. A daunting sight left him speechless as he rounded the corner.

The passage had been sealed off.

Who or whatever had created this place, had meant to taunt him by showing him escape was impossible. It's taunting was most certainly effective.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Word count this post: 1099

Total: 2762
Vegeta
Apprentice
Apprentice

Character Info

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vegeta on 8/27/2012, 12:38 am

An incredibly loud boom could be heard by anyone remotely near the valley. An incredible beam of energy tore through the caverns which trapped the valiant hero. The sound of violent slashing rang through the echoing ravine. The ringing of the blade resounded throughout the cave, and possibly the surroundings landscape.

Tapion raced through a mist of falling shards. His ki beam had tore through the blinding crystal with ease. Clearing more and more of the dazzling stones with each haphazard swing, Tapion was making good work of the entirety of the cave. Rather than spelunk, he had taken it upon himself to get the hell out of there, and fast. As far as he was concerned, he had been trapped. Anything that dwelled within the caves was hence forth and enemy.

The tunnel that served as his prison was entirely populated with crystal. Upon inspection, namely his ki beam, he realized that the tunnel was a long, narrow passage. He hovered through the air, pressing forward whilst tearing the gems to shreds. A shower of small crystals followed behind him, other large pieces falling to the ground as he passed through. He didn't tire. He didn't relent. The mere act of entrapment had set him off.

The crystal continued to give way as Tapion pushed deeper into the chasm. Finally, after many minutes of hacking and slashing, Tapion's sword clanged against a crystal, one that seemed substantially stronger than the rest.

"A wall, eh?" Tapion said with a laugh. His high-pitched voice had atone of cynicism in it. He took a step away from the wall.

After catching his breath, he brought his sword behind him, letting it dangle a bit. "We'll see about that!" he roared, swing the blade forward. As the blade reached the end of it's arc, a wave of ki shot from the edge and traveled the small distance to the wall. It passed through, leaving a significant hole in the base.

"Haha. How do you like that, you bastards." Tapion said triumphantly. He was addressing no one in particular, just anyone whom it concerned that may be listening.

Tapion squeezed through the hole, going in with his head first. On the other side, he found a small conclave, with a small podium in the center. On the podium rested a book, which was opened to a certain page. Judging by the layer of dust shrouding the page, it had been there for some time. Tapion blew lightly, displacing the dust. Underneath he read the following inscription

Greeting brave warrior. To get here you must have made quite a trip. I hope you found this in good health. The lake was a trap set to weed out the unworthy. As for the crystals, I figured an adventurer who didn't have the power to break past them would just end their life. Evidence of this can be seen by the immense number of skeletons within the caverns. As sad as it is, few men will have what it takes to read this, and those who weren't worthy, were taken care of.

You weren't one of those men. Be it dumb luck, or possibly your raw talent, you managed to make it here. With your quick thinking, brute strength, and maybe a hail mary pass, you've succeeded.

Congratulations. Never forget a warrior's greatest weapon. The ability to think quick on your feet. Had you chosen the other cavern, a similar fate may have befallen you, though that is not certain.

At any rate, you've ventured the depths of the Valley of the Warrior, and you deserve a pat on the back. I wish you good adventuring. To leave the valley, simply close the book.

"A pat on the back? You've got to be shitting me." Tapion growled, "I almost drowned, nearly got blinded, exhausted myself, and all I get is a pat on the back. Fuck that."

Tapion angrily closed the book. Before he knew it, he was standing at the edge of the oasis that had confined him. He said nothing more on the subject, and simply returned to the coliseum.

While traveling, it dawned on him that he had not seen any skeleton's within the cavern. He eventually concluded that the others ordered to visit the place, had actually done nothing. Maybe visited the place, but stood outside. The dusty book was evidence of that. He decided to keep his adventure into the cavern to himself. If the rest of the gladiators weren't man enough to actually complete the task, he wouldn't want to intimidate them.

He reported in to Jack Jackson once he returned.

"Your back already? What did you get scared and come running back 'er somethin'?"

"No, I simply went there, ventured through the place, then left. Just like you asked."

"Most guys spend the night out there. Are you meaning to tell me- You know what, it don't matter. You went ahead and went there, it's all good. The crowd loves little bullcrap like that, yah know? Anyway, I gotcha on the roster. You'll be fighting tomorrow."

"Alright fine by me."

"Uhh, this guy," Jack said, grabbing a random passerby, "Will lead you to your room. Get a good night sleep, your gonna need it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Word count this post: 874

Total: 3636
Vegeta
Apprentice
Apprentice

Character Info

View user profile

Back to top Go down