Infinite Dragonball Z RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roleplay Writing - The Basics

Go down

Roleplay Writing - The Basics Empty Roleplay Writing - The Basics

Post by Android 17 2/23/2012, 1:30 am

Role-play Writing - The Basics

This is a guide for people who know the basics of sentence structure and writing, but are unsure of how to write creatively. If you want to know about all the stuff I'm going to refer to in this, look here, here, and here.

In Character Writing

In a role-play, you take control of a character. You ARE that character. As such, you will be acting like he would, and acting like he does. However, you physically are not that character. You won't be picking up buildings or shooting beams from your eyes anytime soon. Therefore, we write in the third person tense here, not in the first.

Wrong Sentence: I walked slowly down the street, my eyes darting
back and forth between the road in front of me and the civilians in my way.

Right Sentence: 17 walked slowly down the street, his eyes darting back and
forth between the road in front of him and the civilians in his way.

Common First Person Pronouns (DO NOT use)
I, Me, We, Us, Our

Common Third Person Verbs (DO Use)
He, She, They, Them, His, Her

The Literary Past and the Past Perfect

When you are role-playing as a character, you are writing as if you are chronicling their actions as a omniscient narrator, telling a story about your character. As such, though the actions you are doing are technically happening at the very moment, you will use past tense in your sentences.

Wrong Sentence: Seventeen was walking down the street.

Right Sentence: Seventeen walked down the street.

The major exception to this is if you are writing about events that are already in motion. In this case, you would you the past perfect tense of the verb, which is similar to the present tense of a verb.

Wrong Sentence: Seventeen ran down the street, the truck crashed in fluid slow motion behind him.

Right Sentence: Seventeen ran down the street, the truck crashing in fluid slow motion behind him.

As you can see, the wrong sentence not only sounds awkward, but also gives the incorrect notion that the truck crashed AFTER Seventeen ran. Since they are happening at the same time, you would use the past perfect tense.
Android 17
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum