Infinite Dragonball Z RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battle Class - Lesson #1 - Building Actions

+4
Piccolo
Ava
Sairai
Goku
8 posters

Go down

Battle Class - Lesson #1 - Building Actions Empty Battle Class - Lesson #1 - Building Actions

Post by Goku 3/28/2012, 12:57 pm

Lesson #1 – Building Actions

In a battle, before you can spend time writing out your post, you need to first know exactly what your character is going to do. In this lesson I will teach you about building a set of actions and also the proper way to list them, as well as how to string together deadly combinations for effectiveness.

How do I know what is and isn't an action?

There are some things that are actual actions and some things that aren't. You might have looked through some of the battle archives, or spars, and seen actions listed—even when they aren't real actions. These are for flavor, sometimes to be funny, sometimes to just put something down instead of listing nothing. However, getting into the technical details, an action can only be the things listed on the combat page. Because this is a lesson, I will list them for you.

I am going to split them into two categories: Active and Reactive actions. What is the difference? Well, active actions are you taking the initiative, such as making an attack or using an item. A reactive action is taken in response to your opponent making an action against you.

Active

• Striking your foe.
  • Resting.
  • Using an item.
  • Making a Rush Attack.
  • Pummeling your foe.
  • Grappling your foe.
  • Powering Up.
  • Shooting a Ki Ball.
  • Shooting a Ki Beam
  • Shooting a Ki Wave.
  • Using an attack ability.**
  • Charging Up an ability.

Reactive

• Blocking an attack.
  • Evading an attack.
  • Making a Counter Attack.
  • Negating an opponent's ki attack with one of your own.
  • Using a defensive ability**

**Abilities have special rules and can be active or reactive.

Sequence of Events

When you start developing your actions, you must always put reactive actions first. Therefore, you must respond to your opponent's actions first. If you decide to let all your opponent's attacks land, then you can proceed to listing your actions, but typically you might want to defend against one or two of them—so you'd list them first. After that, you can list your active actions.

Non-Actions

It is important to list non-actions as well. I typically list them with hyphens instead of numbers, and I put them in sequence with the other actions as well. A non-action is something like taking a hit, or using Ki Control or Ki Mastery to adjust your attributes on the fly. There are some other things that are non-actions as well; for example speaking, drawing and sheathing weapon (it must be equipped first, however), or making hand gestures. Movement is considered a non-action as well, since it's typically involved with your actions. Essentially, anything that doesn't have an effect on the flow of battle is a non-action.

Augments

Augmentative actions aren't actually actions, but instead modify another action. For example, Flight is considered an augmentative ability. It modifies the way you move and the way you attack. You can fly into the sky, giving you a better field of vision before unleashing a ki wave. Or, you could fly at your opponent—gaining momentum before landing a devastating strike. When listing an augmentative ability, I recommend doing it like this: Flight + Strike, or Flight + Speed Burst + Strike. That method shows that you are using them to augment an ability.

Assignment

I want to see how you all do making a list of actions. Pretend you are fighting an opponent. List all your non actions, actions, and throw in some augmentative abilities to spice things up. Just reply to this thread with your assignment. Once I have everyone, I'll throw out some critiques if need be. This is an easy one, but if you have any questions, you can ask me on cbox, PM me, or throw me a message on AIM—my screen name is SteelVoltage.
Goku
Goku
Staff
Staff

Character Info
Level: 81
Race: Saiyan

http://www.infinitedbz.com

Back to top Go down

Battle Class - Lesson #1 - Building Actions Empty Re: Battle Class - Lesson #1 - Building Actions

Post by Sairai 3/28/2012, 1:08 pm

- Ki Mastery + Ki Control (Power at 50%)
- Take ki blast
1) Deflect Kamehameha
2) After Image + Barrage Death Beam (+24 FP)
3) Rest
Sairai
Sairai
Staff
Staff

Character Info
Level: 61
Race: Changeling

http://www.infinitedbz.com/t636-sairai-the-soft-hearted

Back to top Go down

Battle Class - Lesson #1 - Building Actions Empty Re: Battle Class - Lesson #1 - Building Actions

Post by Ava 3/28/2012, 1:39 pm

1) Block attack(+1 Rage, ??? FP)

- jump
- flip
- land
- kneel

2)Flight(1 FP) + Rush Attack(5 FP) + Strike(1FP)
3)Pummel(5 FP)

- Force Back
----------------
Total FP - 12/233
Total Rage - 1/32
----------------
Ava
Ava
Former Member
Former Member

http://magnaangel.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Piccolo 3/28/2012, 6:37 pm

-Counter Guy's Kick
-Take hit from Guy's sabimen
1: Speed Burst (+10 FP) + Rush Attack (+5 FP)
2: Flight (+1 FP)
3: After Image (+15 FP) + Eye Lasers (+ 32 FP)

-------------
Total FP: 63 FP
Piccolo
Piccolo
Sensei
Sensei

Character Info
Level: 1
Race: Namek

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryouji 3/28/2012, 7:29 pm

Actions:
1. Barrier (Against Actions 2&3) (+20 FP)
2. After Image (+15 FP) + Flash Bomb (+35 FP)
3. Powered Flight (+3 FP) + Rush Attack (+5 FP)

Last edited by Ryouji on 3/30/2012, 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Ryouji
Ryouji
Champion
Champion

http://dragondeath0.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Goku 3/30/2012, 1:06 am

We're missing Bardock, Khaos, and Yamcha....

And, welcome to the class Ryouji.
Goku
Goku
Staff
Staff

Character Info

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaos 3/30/2012, 7:30 am

-take hit
1. flight +1Fp
2. attemp sword swipe +1
3. Attemp ki blade with free hand +12 FP

188/202 FP
rage pool 1
Khaos
Khaos
Champion
Champion

Character Info
Level: 38
Race: Hybrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Yamcha the banned 3/30/2012, 9:00 pm

Actions

1) Afterimage(rank III) +12FP
2) (From the blind flank) Flying Uppercut and a Thai Knee (speedy strikes,,two hits, attack rating two) +1FP
3) Powered Flight and Wolf Fang Fist +35FP (Wolf fang fist rank III)

48/222 Fatigue Points
rage pool: 0
Yamcha the banned
Yamcha the banned
Former Member
Former Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Trunks Banned 3/30/2012, 11:23 pm

-take hit from action 2
1.)Dodge action 1 +8 FP
2.)use Ki-HO +15 Fp
3.)Rest -10 Fp

(53/200 Fp)
Kid Trunks Banned
Kid Trunks Banned
Former Member
Former Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Goku 3/31/2012, 11:50 pm

I replied to everyone I thought needed some feedback. Everyone one else did fine.

Ava

1) Block attack(+1 Rage, ??? FP)

- jump
- flip
- land
- kneel

2)Flight(1 FP) + Rush Attack(5 FP) + Strike(1FP)
3)Pummel(5 FP)

- Force Back
----------------
Total FP - 12/233
Total Rage – 1/32

Ava, this looks good. Only, you don't need to list each minor movement. You can omit that, as they can read it in your RP.

Zarbon

-Counter Guy's Kick
-Take hit from Guy's sabimen
1: Speed Burst (+10 FP) + Rush Attack (+5 FP)
2: Flight (+1 FP)
3: After Image (+15 FP) + Eye Lasers (+ 32 FP)

-------------
Total FP: 63 FP

For your second action, you can couple another action with flight. It's augmentative, remember. So it could have been something like Flight + Rush Attack.

Khaos

-take hit
1. flight +1Fp
2. attemp sword swipe +1
3. Attemp ki blade with free hand +12 FP

188/202 FP
rage pool 1

For your first action, you could have done something with Flight. It's not an action, it augments an action. So, you could have done Flight + Sword Strike, or something. Your second one was simple enough, I'd list it as Weapon Strike, or Sword Strike, though. For the third action, just write the action, Ki Blade Strike. You don't have to include that is with your free hand.

Thanks for your participation so far. The next lesson will be up in the next day or so.
Goku
Goku
Staff
Staff

Character Info

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down