Infinite Dragonball Z RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Demons Within {Complete}

2 posters

Go down

Demons Within {Complete} Empty Demons Within {Complete}

Post by Aqua 1/27/2012, 5:12 am

Demons Below
Medium Quest
Requirement: None
Reward: 2,000 zeni and +15 Hero Points
During your sleep you are visited by the Fortune Teller Baba, who hovers on her mysterious crystal ball. She asks for your help, promising you will be rewarded handsomely. Within a cave deep beneath the frigid cold Northern Mountains lies an old gateway to Other World. Baba had a vision of a girl possessed by demons going to open the gate. Head into the depths to investigate and seal the gateway before demons pour in from Other World.

Sayuri sat on the edge of the bed, her face etched with worry. It had been hours since Trunks had collapsed on the beach after their spar. It had taken almost every ounce of her strength to get him back to the Kame House. She wanted to take him to the hospital, but Master Roshi insisted on waiting for the old witch Baba.

She watched as Trunks was in what appeared to be a fitful rest. Groaning in pain and tossing every so often. Sayuri could only guess what hellish nightmare he was having. Her heart ached at the fear of losing him. It was all she could do to stifle a silent sob. Not able to sit still a moment longer she walked into the kitchen and filled a bowl with cool water, stopping only briefly to grab a washcloth out of the kitchen drawer.

She returned to his bedside and set the bowl on the dresser next to his bed. She carefully dunked the stiff washcloth in the water making sure it became completely saturated. Wish a heavy sigh she brought it up and wrung it out. The room was all but silent except for the small tinkling of the droplets back into the bowl.

Sayuri folded the washcloth and tenderly patted it across his sweaty brow. “Trunks.” she whispered. “Please be okay.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WC:225

Last edited by Sayuri on 2/6/2012, 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Aqua
Aqua
Champion
Champion

Character Info
Level: 22
Race: Human

https://www.facebook.com/JamieBankai

Back to top Go down

Demons Within {Complete} Empty Re: Demons Within {Complete}

Post by Goku 1/28/2012, 4:17 am

The Fortuneteller Baba appeared within the bedroom, a blossom of multicolored energy illuminating the entire chamber. Hovering on her crystal ball, she studied the scene. A pink haired girl sat the edge of the bed, gazing down at a sleeping lavender haired boy. She can see from beneath his blanket that he had a muscular frame, the build of a warrior. Footsteps resounded on the stairs and the door opened. Her brother Roshi entered the room. He must have sensed her arrival.

He was a wiry old coot in a floral pattern shirt with a pair of red sunglasses. It was hard for her to see the frown beneath the bushy beard he sported. But his white caterpillar eyebrows were drawn into a concerned expression. Seldom was Roshi so serious looking, so she knew that his call had been of utmost urgency.

"Well-well, what do we have here?" Baba said. "Roshi, is this the boy you told me about?"

"Yes," Roshi said. "It's not good. I've never seen anything like it before."

Baba floated over, hovering above the bed. She glanced down at the girl, noticing she had a bowl of water with a washcloth. This girl was clearly tending to the young warrior. The teary-eyed, almost frantic, look in her eyes told the Fortuneteller that the girl had feelings for the young warrior.

A second look at the girl nearly made Baba's jaw drop. She had seen her face before. In the dreams--yes she was in the dreams. The girl, she was no ordinary teen suffering from puppy love. No, the strands of fate were strong around her. She had a purpose, a very dark purpose. She was going to be the one to open the gate.

"Stand aside miss," Baba said and snorted.

Bringing her stubby arms up, she began mutter a long and low incantation, flourishing her index fingers several times. Beads of blue-white light emanated from the tips of her fingers and fell like droplets of rain onto the lavender haired warrior's body. There the beads of light collected and spread, until his whole form was pulsating.

"Reveal the corruption within!" Baba said.

The blue-white light shifted into a dull crimson. A thick tar like blackness covered his torso, slithering and writhing like a nest of vile snakes. Baba yelped and lowered her arms, floating backward. The mystical light surrounding Trunks faded.

"No-no-no-no-no!" Baba said. "This boy has meddled with the Dark Ones. Their spell, it s not an easy one to break. It is a beacon you see, meant to call others to him. He was marked for his power."

"What are you blabbing about?" Roshi said. "Tell us what that means."

"Quiet, you walking stick," Baba said and closed her eyes. "It means I don't have the power to fix him. Not without a powerful reagent."

"What sort?" Roshi said as he crossed the room. He took a place at the end of the bed, studying Trunks over.

"A Dragon's Tear, it is a rare and powerful flower. It only grows where magical ley lines cross. I haven't seen one in two hundred years though. And, if I had to look for one I'd say the Harbinger's Cave is the only untouched crossing. But, it is a place of evil and darkness, shadows lurk there, and a passing into the Demon Realm. I would not send the bravest of champion's there."

---

Trunks could hear sounds for the first time, in what seemed like an eternity. A warm sensation washed over him, as if he were being dunked into a bathtub. It was soothing, but at the same time it caused his mind to buzz with confusion. The last thing he remembered was being on the beach, sparring with Sayuri. Panic began to rise within him as he tried to recollect his memories.

The sound began to clarify as he focused on them more. They were voices. After a moment or so, he could make out what was being said.

"Quiet, you walking stick," said an old woman with a harsh voice "It means I don't have the power to fix him. Not without a powerful reagent."

"What sort?" said Master Roshi.

"A Dragon's Tear," the old woman began again. "It is a rare and powerful flower. It only grows where magical ley lines cross. I haven't seen one in two hundred years though. And, if I had to look for one I'd say the Harbinger's Cave is the only untouched crossing. But, it is a place of evil and darkness, shadows lurk there, and a passing into the Demon Realm. I would not send the bravest of champion's there."

Opening his eyes felt like he was trying to lift up a mountain. But, he gave it his all, and slowly light flooded his field of vision. It took just a few seconds for him to come into focus. The first thing he saw was Sayuri sitting next to him, and then as he looked behind her, he saw Roshi standing sentinel at the end of the bed. Tilting his head, he found the old woman. She was an miniscule old biddy, floating on a crystal ball. She had a witch's hat on top of a mop of stringy pink hair. Her face had thick folds, a sign of her antiquity.

Trunks sat up very slowly. The words were slow coming. "I'll.... get... this Dragon 's Tear. I can't afford to lie here, not while this is happening to me."

He sat up and pushed the blankets off him. Yes, he felt a lot better than at the beach. But, he knew that if he tried to use his ki, it would start all over again. It seemed the more wielded it, the worse the sickness got.

"Ha!" Baba said. "Boy, you don't have any power to retrieve anything. If you try to use your energy, it will only worsen the effects."

"Isn't there anything you can do for me? Even temporary?" Trunks said. "There is so much in stake if I fail my mission. The future--"

"Boy!" Baba said. "I have foreseen a thousand futures, yet only one of them became true. Roshi told me that you came back to this future. You are in a new time now. The things you think you know, they don't matter. Your single act changed everything."

Trunks lowered his head. "Yes, but that doesn't mean the Vora no longer exist. They will come still. That is what I fear."

Baba grunted. "Indeed they will come. You've been marked by one. Thousands will come and ravish this world, unless we can get you fixed."

WC: 1,109
TWC: 1,334
Goku
Goku
Staff
Staff

Character Info
Level: 81
Race: Saiyan

http://www.infinitedbz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aqua 1/29/2012, 1:17 am

Sayuri barely paid attention as the door creaked open and a strange magenta haired woman floated into the room, followed by a grief stricken Master Roshi. For the last several hours she had refused to leave Trunks’ side, and she wasn’t going to start now until she knew exactly what was wrong.

"Stand aside miss," Baba said with a rude scoff. The woman regarded her with such suspicion, Sayuri wondered what she knew.

Bringing her stubby arms up, she began mutter a long and low incantation, flourishing her index fingers several times. Beads of blue-white light emanated from the tips of her fingers and fell like droplets of rain onto the lavender haired warrior's body. There the beads of light collected and spread, until his whole form was pulsating.

"Reveal the corruption within!" Baba said. The blue-white light shifted into a dull crimson. A thick tar like blackness covered Trunks’ torso, slithering and writhing like a nest of vile snakes. Sayuri’s gasp caught horrified in her throat. "No-no-no-no-no!" Baba said. "This boy has meddled with the Dark Ones. Their spell, is a beacon you see, meant to call others to him." Baba said and closed her eyes. "It means I don't have the power to fix him. Not without a powerful reagent."

"What sort?" Roshi said. Sayuri watched as he crossed the room to examine Trunks for himself. She felt a deep sympathy for the man. He no longer looked like the usual letch, his worry aged his face tenfold. Her heart almost began to soften.

"A Dragon's Tear, it is a rare and powerful flower. It only grows where magical ley lines cross, Harbinger's Cave. I haven't seen one in two hundred years though. But, it is a place of evil and darkness, shadows lurk there, and a passing into the Demon Realm. I would not send the bravest of champion's there." The woman said giving Sayuri a direct stare.

Feeling a shift in movement she darted her head towards Trunks, who was sitting up slowly with a great effort. "I'll.... get... this Dragon 's Tear. I can't afford to lie here, not while this is happening to me." He said weakly.

"Boy, you don't have any power to retrieve anything. If you try to use your energy, it will only worsen the effects." Baba said curtly.

"Isn't there anything you can do for me? Even temporary?" Trunks said. "There is so much in stake if I fail my mission. The future--"

"Boy!" Baba said. " You are in a new time now. The things you think you know, they don't matter. Your single act changed everything."

Trunks lowered his head near defeat. "Yes, but that doesn't mean the Vora no longer exist. They will come still. That is what I fear."

Baba grunted. "Indeed they will come. You've been marked by one. Thousands will come and ravish this world, unless we can get you fixed."

“The Dark Taking,” Sayuri said in a low whisper feeling every head turned towards her. Knowing another word wasn’t going to be said otherwise she explained. “I thought they were tales, bedtime stories the priestesses passed down to the children. Kaide told me to take heed. One day I might be involved.”

“Ohkii-mizu, the village I grew up in, is about half a day’s travel from the Harbinger's Cave. I know where the Dragon’s tear lays. My priestess Kaide was it’s keeper….. I was next in line.” She let out a heavy sigh and turned to Trunks.

“I had no idea this is what the Vora were, much less that this is what they were capable of. The keepers told legends of the dark takers, that there was a prophecy one day they would come and plunge the world into darkness with their insatiable greed.”

She closed her eyes as if reading a book that wasn’t there. She knew there was an herb to buy Trunks some time. If she could just remember what it was! Sayuri mumbled to herself aloud then ran to her bedroom.

She pulled a book off her shelf and ran back to Trunks’ side, licking her index finger before quickly leafing through the pages. The sound of each turn sliced through the air. Finding a page that was overly highlighted she traced her finger along the lines until she found her golden bit of information. Snapping the book shut she turned to Baba with confidence and determination in her voice. “We can get the Dragon Tear, but I can’t do it alone. I can buy Trunks some time, but I’ll need your help.”

Baba gave her a skeptical look before speaking slowly “Go on, child.”

Sayuri turned to Trunks and spoke. “I need essence of the White Lotus. I have the dried flower, but I don’t have the supplies to extract it.”

Baba reached behind her back producing a medium sized black bag, and tossed it at Sayuri. Noting the girl’s confused look she rolled her eyes and spat, “Open it!”

Sayuri opened the bag tentatively, and reached in. The thing seemed to have no bottom. She waved her hands around until she felt something cold and metal. Pulling it out, she produced a tiny black cast iron cauldron, no bigger than a cereal bowl. With another reach, she produced a small mortar and pestle.

Not in the mood to waste any time she gathered her supplies and buzzed about the kitchen like a mad scientist. After carefully measuring the proper amount of water and setting the cauldron on a burner, Sayuri delicately spooned the dried Lotus into the pot. The bubbling mixture began to froth and a sweetened aroma filled the room. Scooping the foam off of the top she watched the clock, timing ten minutes exactly to the second before taking it off the heat. Once the mixture was cooled enough to handle she grabbed a ceramic cup and gingerly placed a square of folded cheese cloth over top of it. With a shaking hand she dumped the contents over the cheesecloth and set the cauldron down.

After straining the liquid thoroughly she added a pinch of sugar and a strange white powder to the mixture and gave it one final stir. Setting the drink on a tray she walked to the fridge and pulled out some fresh turkey lunch meat and spicy pepper jack cheese. She hummed to herself as she made two sandwiches.

Within a half an hour of leaving she returned to the room and set the tray next to Trunks’ bed. She handed him the first sandwich saying little more than “If you drink this, you need food in your stomach.” Her mind was wracked with terrified thoughts. She knew that the journey ahead would be hard, but what scared her most was that Trunks’ faith in her was about to be tested. She didn’t want to let him down knowing the aftermath could prove fatal.

When he had finished the first sandwich she picked up the steaming mug and looked Trunks in the eye. “There is something you need to know before you drink this,” she said in a serious tone. “You’re about to drink essence of White Lotus and Willow Asp, these are the only herbs that will help you, but if mixed improperly they can be poisonous. I have trained my entire childhood in herbal remedies. But you need to know this won’t work forever. It can only be used once, and comes with a price. If we don’t find the tear in 3days, your symptoms will come back, much worse than you could imagine. It could kill you.”

She handed the cup towards Trunks’ the vital decision being placed in his hands. “I won’t let you down,” she said.
------------------------------------------------------------------
WC: 1,304/1529
TTC: 2,638
Aqua
Aqua
Champion
Champion

Character Info

Back to top Go down

Post by Goku 1/29/2012, 4:17 am

Trunks listened intently as Sayuri discussed her village, Ohkii-mizu, being near Harbringer's Cave and that she could help them get access to the Dragon's Tear. She left the room and came back with some dusty old tome, which she began flipping through. He was taken aback when she said that she could buy him some time if Baba helped her with preparing some sort of herbal remedy.

Sayuri was far more knowledgeable in herbalism than he had imagined. It was talent she hadn't really shown him until now. Sure, she had mentioned about learning the healing arts during her Guardian apprenticeship, but she had made it out to be nothing special.

Figures she would hide her talents, Trunks thought to himself. She is a modest person.

Sayuri produced a black iron pot, and mortal and a pestle from a magical bag that Baba gave her. Without any announcement, she vanished, most likely to go prepare the remedy she had in mind. The room feel quiet as they waited for her to prepare the remedy.

“Beware of that girl, Trunks,” Baba said, after a minute or so.

Trunks's eyebrows narrowed and he glared at her. “What?”

“She has the blood of a demon. She cannot be trusted. So, beware of her. I have foreseen dark tidings brought about by her actions.”

“That's ridiculous, Sayuri is the sweetes-”

“Fool,” Baba said. “You go about telling others of your prophecies. Yet, I give you one and you do not listen to mine.”

Trunks didn't know what to say, he lowered his head. “Well, thank you, I guess. I'm sorry.”

“Her kindness and good-hearted nature means nothing in this case. It is her blood that makes her susceptible to the darkness. I think I might know who her father is. If it is true, then she is from a strong line.”

“I am a Half-Saiyan,” Trunks said. “My blood is that of Vegeta, Prince of Saiyans. But, that doesn't make me a bad person.”

“Yes, Trunks, that is very true. But, have you not inherited the traits of Saiyans? You are strong, you have a lust for battle and you were born with the ability to transform into the Great Ape, were you not? These are things that are natural for Saiyans. Demons have their own inherent powers too, but of a different nature.”

“I think understand what you're saying,” Trunk said.

But, he didn't. His feelings for Sayuri were strong. Much stronger than he had even known. Just the thought of her committing evil acts made his chest tight with anxiety. He could never hurt her. He wouldn't let anything bad happen to her, as long as he could help it.

“Well, my work here is done. I will be leaving,” Baba said. Before Trunks could say bye, she was gone in a flash of multicolored light.

Roshi sighed. The venerable master looked tired. Trunks saw him pinch the bridge of his nose and head for the door. He paused and glanced back, over his shoulder.

“Don't let what Baba says scare you. Sayuri is a sweet girl. Trust her with your heart, and she will not fail you.”

“I will Master,” Trunks said. “Thank you.”

Leaning back, Trunks waited, gazing out of the window next to the bed. The azure sky was empty, not a single cloud in sight. Below, sapphire waves crashed, leaving behind a blanket of darkened sand. Even the beauty and serenity of the tropics did nothing quell the fear and desolation inside of him. A lot was a stake now and he had to put his trust in Sayuri. Yet, the Fortuneteller had told him not to trust her. He felt confused, but most of all, frustrated with the latest turn of events.

Finally, the door opened and Sayuri emerged carrying a tray. Trunks sat up as she plopped down on the bed next to him. On the tray, he spotted two sandwiches a steaming mug.

“If you drink this, you need food in your stomach,” Sayuri said.

Trunks was quite hungry. Before he had passed out, he was about to eat lunch with her, but had never gotten a chance. Wasting no time, he snatched up the sandwich and started gobbling it down.

“There is something you need to know before you drink this,” Sayuri said. “You’re about to drink essence of White Lotus and Willow Asp, these are the only herbs that will help you, but if mixed improperly they can be poisonous. I have trained my entire childhood in herbal remedies. But you need to know this won’t work forever. It can only be used once, and comes with a price. If we don’t find the tear in three days, your symptoms will come back, much worse than you could imagine. It could kill you.”

“I think we'll be fine. Three days is plenty enough to find one flower. Besides, you said you know where it is.”

He took the mug, it was very warm in his hand. It reminded him of tea, at least in coloration, but the aroma was much different. It had a bitter, almost piney scent to it. But, it was better than the Namekian drink, Mak-Tar, which looked like bubbling moss. If he could drink Mak-Tar, he could drink anything.

“Bottoms up,” Trunks said and brought the cup to his lips.

He took a long drink,, his eyes nearly watering from the bitterness washing over his tongue. Squeezing the blanket, he fought through it. Within a few minutes, the cup was gone.

It was miraculous how quickly he started to feel his power flooded into to him. His ability to sense ki slammed into his mind with such force that he felt dizzy and had to close his eyes. Not being able to sense energy had left him feeling far more lonely that he had realized. There was just so much life on Earth, so much activity, all buzzing around him.

“That remedy was amazing Sayuri,” Trunks said and got out of bed. He did a big stretch and a few squats to stretch his stiff legs. “We should get going immediately.”

Grabbing his travel bag, he stuffed a few pairs clothes in it and slug it over his shoulder. Sayuri went to her room and he helped her pack her big beach bag full of stuff.

“We're going now,” Trunks said as they stepped onto the beach. Roshi wasn't lounging, nor was he “reading” his dirty magazines. No, the old warrior was just staring off into the horizon.

“Be careful,” Roshi said, his voice was stern. “The both of you.”

“I always am,” Trunks said. His aura flashed around him in a blazing white surge, as blasted off into the sky, with Kayuri on close on his heels.

They soared over sparkling seas, over rolling hills and plains, through sentinel mountains. It was a serene flight, yet the glory of the country side did nothing to lift Trunks's spirits. He was filled with uncertainty and fear. What if they couldn't get the Dragon's Tear? Trunks tried to block that thought. In three days, his sickness would return and he would be in grave trouble.

They moved with great haste, far faster than any commercial jets. After a handful of hours, the air grew chilly. The signs of civilization began to fade, leaving nothing more than endless pine forests spotted with lakes.

On the horizon, wisps of white smoke rose up from behind a large mountain. They came to an abrupt stop above it. The smoke was coming from the valley below, where Trunks spotted a cluster of wooden shacks beside a river . As continued to survey the area, he noticed one narrow dirt road leading from the village to the forest. They were really in the middle of nowhere.

Sayuri looked excited, so he knew this was the right place.

“W-wow Sayuri, you're really a country girl.”

---

WC: 1,348
TWC: 2,457
Thread Total: 3,986
Goku
Goku
Staff
Staff

Character Info

Back to top Go down

Post by Aqua 1/30/2012, 4:59 am

“Bottoms up,” Trunks said and brought the cup to his lips. Sayuri saw his eyes widen and water from the bitterness of the concoction. She felt guilty for not warning him of the taste but she knew if she did, it may deter him from taking it.

Within minutes Trunks seemed a whole new person. “That remedy was amazing Sayuri,” Trunks said hopping out of bed with renewed vigor. He stretched stiffly, his broad body taking up most of the space in the small room. “We should get going immediately.”

Sayuri gave a small nod and proceeded to her room. She opened her closed and produced a large looking beach bag. It seemed surreal to be packing to go home when several weeks ago she was told she wouldn’t see it for so long. Running along her usual checklist she started gathering things in a daze. When Trunks came in and began handing things to her, she could feel her anxiety rise.

Once they were ready to depart they walked out onto the old porch of the house. Roshi stood at the water’s edge staring off absently into the distance. For the first time since she had met the man she realized just how old and feeble he really looked.

“We're going now,” Trunks said as they stepped onto the beach.

“Be careful,” Roshi said, his voice etched with worry, and foreboding. “The both of you.”

“We will,” Sayuri said walking to Roshi and planting a tentative kiss on the old man’s cheek.

“I always am,” Trunks said. His aura flashed around him, as he blasted off into the sky, with Sayuri on close on his heels.

The journey to Ohkii-mizu was all but silent. Sayuri took the lead over the ocean waters. She tried to loose herself in the world below with no success. Her mind kept wandering to the possibilities of losing Trunks, and the almost impossible task ahead. The Harbringer’s Cave was not a laughing matter. A maze of dark stone corridors and creatures lurking in the shadows, and then there was the final test of spirit. She knew her intentions were good, but Sayuri couldn’t help but doubt herself. She couldn’t bear the thought of letting Trunks down.

As Sayuri tore her attention away from her morbid obsession and glanced at the mountains in the distance, a broad smile swept across her face. She looked at Trunks with the first glimmer of hope she had felt in hours. The valley just beyond the mountain peak came into view through the thick low clouds.

She followed the long snake like river all the while taking in the familiar smell off damp soil and life all around her. She pointed towards thin plumes of smoke coming from their tiny shacks. All along the river leading up into the village were tiny specks on the bank. Sayuri knew they were villagers pulling their nets from the early morning’s cast.

“W-wow Sayuri, you're really a country girl.” Trunks said with some shock.

She flashed a broad grin in his direction. “It’s not much, but it’s home,” she said.

The river began to widen slightly as the tiny shacks, some with straw roofs no bigger than Roshi’s kitchen, began to grow scarcer. The river finally emptied into a large lake, the village’s name sake. On its banks stood one lonely hut, with a makeshift clothes line and a short round woman gazing at their approach.

As they touched down the woman unshielded her eyes from the sun with an excited gasp. “By the graces of Kai!” The woman exclaimed, “Sayuri, is that you?!”

Sayuri fought to control herself for fear of toppling the woman over as she rushed to hug her, breathing in her rich scent of flower and herbs. “Kaide,” she said finally pulling back and looking at the only mother she had ever known. “I’ve missed you so, there is much to tell.” Wiping the tears from her eyes and gathering her composure Sayuri turned and Introduced Trunks.
“Kaide this is Trunks. My battle Trainer and good friend,” she said with a smile.

The older woman gave him a stunned gaze, before blurting out “If these are today’s warriors sign me up!”

Sayuri nearly choked with embarrassment, feeling the crimson creep up her cheeks. Changing the subject she turned to Kaide with a serious expression. “Kaide, we are here on an important matter, one of great urgency”

“Do come inside, we shall discuss it over dinner.” The woman said touching Sayuri’s face in a motherly gesture. “Don’t they feed you? You look like you haven’t eaten in ages. I made blackened fish.” Kaide said throwing a wink at Trunks. As they walked into the house, Sayuri in the lead, Trunks behind her and Kaide bringing up the rear she heard the slap of Kaide’s hand connecting with Trunks’ Jeans. “I bet you’ve got a good appetite, don’t ya big boy!”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WC:821/2350
TTC:4,807
Aqua
Aqua
Champion
Champion

Character Info

Back to top Go down

Post by Goku 1/31/2012, 5:07 am

“It’s not much, but it’s home,” Sayuri said.

Trunks frowned. Home—it was such a foreign concept to him at this point in his life. It had been years since he had truly felt at home anywhere. The Vora had came and tore Earth the shreds, leaving nothing more than ashen ruins. His friends, his family, everyone that had made home what it was, they were gone. His mother had survived, but because of his great power he had to avoid being around her, for fear the Vora would track him down and she would be in danger.

So, he had traveled with Blackfire, fighting the Vora, training and learning. He watched entire worlds burn, had seen so much sickness and death. Desolation and pain had become his new home. Upon returning to the past, he was starting felt a lot better, but the nagging feeling of the future ahead of him consumed him. His dreams were haunted by the burning cities and horrifying screams.

Floating down, Trunks's boots touched the ground a half-second after Sayuri's pink snakers. The two were surrounded on all sides by thick pines and tall wispy grass. Insects buzzed, and frogs splashed into the brown water of the river, evading two new possible predators.

Theywalked up a small trail that led to the shack they saw from above. An old woman met them as the approached.

“By the graces of Kai,” she said.“Sayuri, is that you?”

Before Sayuri could respond, the woman had crossed the small gap between them and pulled her into a tight, almost motherly, embrace.

“Kaide,” Sayuri said, pulling away from her. “I’ve missed you so, there is much to tell.”

Trunks could see the little tears running their course across her cheeks. Sayuri was very happy about seeing this Kaide.

“Kaide this is Trunks. My battle trainer and good friend.”

“If these are today’s warriors sign me up!” Kaide said.

Taken aback by the suddenly brashness of her comment, Trunks perked up both of his eyebrows and smiled, not wanting to seem offended or worried by the comment.

“Kaide, we are here on an important matter, one of great urgency,” Sayuri said, cutting to business.

“Do come inside, we shall discuss it over dinner.” Kaide said. “Don’t they feed you? You look like you haven’t eaten in ages. I made blackened fish.”

“She doesn't eat much. Because she's always feeding everyone else,” Trunks said as he followed Sayuri inside the hut.

Trunks felt a slap to his rear and froze, terrified, in the middle of the doorway.

“I bet you’ve got a good appetite, don’t ya big boy!”

His cheeks turned red and he turned himself around to avoid any further strikes of the manner “Well, I'm always hungry, so it sounds good to me,” he said, quickly diverting the subject, not really wanting to acknowledge the fact that the slap just happened.

Upon first glance, the hut's inside astounded Trunks with its archaic appearance. It was as if Trunks had stepped three centuries back in time. Kaide had a stone hearth, with burning coals. Over the colas a rack was set up. Two black iron frying pans sat on the racks, the fish currently sizzling in them. A round table made up in the center of the room.

Looking up, Trunks could see her sleeping quarters were in fact in a loft. The walls were lined with shelves packed with dusty old books and wall hangings depicting ornately painted scenes of nature. But, nothing compared to the elaborate workbench next to the doorway. Behind the bench and against the wall were rows of cubbies, all organized perfectly. Trunks saw dozens vials filled with little bits of herbs and jars filled with preserving fluids, containing leathery yellow organs and other strange bits. Sitting on the bench was some new looking stainless steel distilling equipment, some ancient looking marble mortar and pestle sets, and so many other trinkets that he didn't recognize.

He took a seat at the table and folded his arms. Sayuri, who was perfectly at home, started to help Kaide prepare the meal. He thought about offering help, but instead stood back let her have her female bonding time. She clearly missed the old woman. He knew they weren't related, as they didn't even look alike, but the mother-daughter relationship was clear as day.

Before long, he had a ceramic plate with steaming rice and blackened trout, set in front of him. Kaide gave him a set of chopsticks. He fiddled with, not able to help his skeptical look. Sayuri, sweeping in from the side, plucked the chopsticks from his hands, replacing them with a shiny fork. She also set down a steaming cup of tea, before taking her own seat.

And he ate, well, devoured the meal. It was largely silent. Kaide and Sayuri pecked at their meal with their chopsticks. Invovled with his task, he didn't even realize that Kaide was staring in disbelief. Sayuri, used to his Saiyan eating habits, had brought him seconds before he even could make a peep and he set into those.

“You eat like a horse too long to pasture,” Kaide said. “And you don't speak much boy. Do I scare you?”

Trunks stopped in mid chew, bits of rice lining his chin. He swallowed. Grabbing a cloth napkin, he cleaned face off and set his fork down.

“Not at all ma'am,” Trunks said. “I mean no disrespect.”

“No, you don't,” Kaide said. “You know a welcome, that is for sure. I can see that. Do you always eat like it will be your last meal?”

Trunks grimaced. “Well, I suppose I do, don't I?” He looked to Sayuri. “It seems old habits die hard.”

“Yes,” Kaide said followed by long sigh. “ You see, Sayuri wouldn't be back here if it wasn't for you. I was going to ask her what brought her back home. I told her to focus on her studies and she has always been one to respect my wishes. And, if it had been something she needed, she would have opened her mouth already, or sent me a letter. No, she is here because of you. So tell me, Trunks, what brings you to Ohkii-mizu with my apprentice Keeper?”

Trunks leaned back in his chair, resting his hands on the flat of his thighs. “I need a Dragon's Tear, which I was told by the Fortuneteller Baba can be found in Harbinger’s Cave. It is the only thing that can save me. I have been afflicted by the corruption of a Voracious Eater. Sayuri managed to stall the effects with her White Lotus remedy, but without the Dragons' Tear I will most likely die. My death will bring a great danger to Earth.”

Kaide took a sip of her steaming hot tea, and gently set it down on the table. She closed her eyes. Trunks noticed how frail she looked, she was very old, maybe not quite as old as Roshi, but getting up there. He could see her hands shaking, ever so slightly. The woman had grand control over her being, that was for sure. But, it was nearly impossible to fully mask fear.

“So you've ran into the Dark Takers?”

Trunks couldn't help the quivering that emerged in his own voice. “More times than I can count, Priestess.”

“My people have many prophecies regarding those foul beasts. Tell me, how did you encounter them?”

“In nine years they will reduce this world to ash. That is, if I don't stop them,” Trunks said. There was no beating around the bush, no way put it without being matter-of-fact.

“So you can see into the future?”

“No, I am the future. Actually, right now, during this time, I am just a small boy. I came back, to stop it, to create a new future where the darkness hasn't won.”

“A time traveler,” Kaide said and shook her head. “Only Sayuri would stumble upon a time traveler. The girl has had impeccable luck? Has she ever told you that?”

“No ma'am,” Trunks said. “She didn't tell me about her luck. But, I can really use some it right now. She knows more about the Dragon's Tear than I do. Can you help us?”

“I can help you,” Kaide said. “But, there will be trials, tests inside Harbinger’s Cave. You must survive them if you wish to live.”

“I will do whatever it takes,” Trunks said and reached over, resting his hand on top of Sayuri's. “Just tell us what we need to do.”

---

WC: 1,461
TWC: 3,918
Thread Total: 6,268
Goku
Goku
Staff
Staff

Character Info

Back to top Go down

Post by Aqua 2/1/2012, 7:05 pm

Sayuri walked into the house as if she hadn’t been away for weeks. Nothing had changed at all to her delight and dismay. The house was still cluttered with Kaide’s many remedies and projects. The familiarities of home comforted her but she was embarrassed to know what Trunks would think of such a mundane life.

She smiled as Trunks took a seat at the table and folded his arms. Sayuri fell into the old routine of helping Kaide prepair the meal for guests. She found an old hand made bowl and emptied the makeshift steamer of all the rice as Kaide removed the fish in the frying pan gently to avoid its breaking up.

Sayuri set Trunks' plate in front of him and watched as he eyed it ravenously, looking for a fork and finding only a set of chopsticks. She watched with a smile as Trunks tried and failed with the slender wooden sticks. She discretely removed a fork from the drawer and placed it next to him with a wink. Like a veteran waitress she carried her plate and two steaming cups of tea to the table and placed one in front of trunks before taking her place to eat.

Trunks’ plate was three quarters of the way devoured before Sayuri had hardly touched her meal, but she was used to this. She stifled a laugh; however, when she glanced up at Kaide’s stunned reaction to his eating methods she realized how different Trunks really was. Without a word she grabbed his plate and filled it up with seconds and placed it in front of him. Trunks had barely skipped a beat and continued eating once again.

“You eat like a horse too long to pasture,” Kaide said bluntly. “And you don't speak much boy. Do I scare you?”

Sayuri chided Kaide between choking on her rice. “Kaide, you of all people should know not everything in this cage is as it seems.”

She watched as Trunks sheepishly grabbed a cloth napkin, cleaned his face off and set his fork down. “Not at all ma'am,” Trunks said. “I mean no disrespect.”

“No, you don't,” Kaide said. “You know a welcome that is for sure. I can see that. Do you always eat like it will be your last meal?”

Trunks grimaced. “Well, I suppose I do, don't I?” He looked to Sayuri. “It seems old habits die hard.”

“Trunks is half Saiyan,” Sayuri said with a smile. “He can eat much more than you and I can. You should be grateful he enjoys your cooking. You always complain of having let overs. He can fix that problem”

“Yes,” Kaide said followed by long sigh. “We do have a problem. You see, Sayuri wouldn't be back here if it wasn't for you. I told her to focus on her studies and she has always been one to respect my wishes. And, if it had been something she needed, she would have opened her mouth already, or sent me a letter. No, she is here because of you. So tell me, Trunks, what brings you to Ohkii-mizu with my apprentice Keeper?”

Sayuri felt her cheeks redden at the thought of disrespecting Kaide’s wishes, but she knew in the long run this would be something the old priestess would understand. She looked at Trunks nervously deciding to let him explain the situation as she gauged Kaide’s reaction.

Trunks cut right to the chase. “I need a Dragon's Tear…. It is the only thing that can save me. I have been afflicted by the corruption of a Voracious Eater. Sayuri managed to stall the effects with her White Lotus remedy, but without the Dragons' Tear I will most likely die. My death will bring a great danger to Earth.”

“So you've ran into the Dark Takers?” Kaide said barely above an awed whisper. “My people have many prophecies regarding those foul beasts. Tell me, how did you encounter them?” Sayuri had never seen her mentor so somber. The lively look only minutes earlier was replaced with a pail complexion and serious tone. Sayuri was grateful that the woman was beginning to understand the severity of the matter.

“In nine years they will reduce this world to ash. That is, if I don't stop them,” Trunks said.

“So you can see into the future?”Kaide said skeptically.

“No, I am the future. “ With that statement Kaide’s eyes nearly widened to the size of saucers, but Trunks continued. “I came back, to stop it, to create a new future where the darkness hasn't won.”

“A time traveler,” Kaide said and shook her head glancing Sayuri’s way. “Only Sayuri would stumble upon a time traveler. The girl has had impeccable luck? Has she ever told you that?”

Sayuri felt her cheeks redden. She had luck alright…. But she was beginning to wonder if it wasn’t the bad kind. At some point or another everyone she cared about seemed to be hurt. She felt as if she were to blame.

“No ma'am,” Trunks said. “She didn't tell me about her luck. But, I can really use some it right now. She knows more about the Dragon's Tear than I do. Can you help us?”

“I can help you,” Kaide said. “But, there will be trials, tests inside Harbinger’s Cave. You must survive them if you wish to live.”

“I will do whatever it takes,” Trunks said and reached over, resting his hand on top of Sayuri's. “Just tell us what we need to do.”

Sayuri noticed something strange in the way Kaide judged Trunks’ small display of affection. She wished she knew what Kaide was thinking. The old woman sat back in her chair deep in thought. Sayuri felt herself holding her breath for Kaide’s next words, praying silently she would aid them. Finally he voice broke the silence. Sayuri squeezed Trunks’ hand with anxiety.

“Looking at you two, I have seen things you do not yet realize. The travel to Harbringers cave is not a dangerous one. However the true danger lies WITHIN.” The woman put added emphasis on her last word in the sentence. “You both will do well to remember that.” She stepped away from the table and rummaged around her table of many herbs. When she returned she handed a small pouch to Sayuri, grabbing tightly to her hand and refusing to let go until the girl met her eyes.

“Listen to me child,” Kaide spoke in a low voice. “Where you go I cannot follow. Keep this on you at all times. Look to the warrior for help, do not push him away. You need him.”

Sayuri hugged the old woman and whispered in her ear. “Thank you for helping me save him.”

“You are the only one that can do that.” Kaide responded with a gentle pat on the back .

The sun was setting in the sky and Sayuri felt herself suddenly exhausted. After setting Trunks up with a comfortable palate she excused herself to bed. Her dreams were more like nightmares. She felt herself being pulled to the bottom of a dark chasm, she was losing herself and couldn’t escape.

When she awoke in the morning her mind was weary and her head was clouded. She trudged outside to the cold lake and washed her face. The shock of the water brought some life to her personality. She inspected her reflection frowning at the dark circles from lack of sleep. She smoothed her hair as best she could into a ponytail and walked back into the house.

She was greeted with the smell eggs and the sound of frying bacon. She gave Kaide a half hug at the stove and took her seat at the table with a warm cup of tea. Trunks followed not long after, his purple hair disheveled and unruly like the grin he shot Sayuri.

Breakfast was eaten with a fake sense of cheer, though Kaide did her best to make them smile, often poking fun at Trunk’s appetite. Sayuri found herself giggling in particular at a comment pertaining to the thought of cooking the whole pig to fill him up.

When the meal was done, and the dishes cleaned, Kaide knew they had already wasted enough time and somberly suggested they get going . “I have a gift for you, child.” She said handing Sayuri a beautiful set of robes.

Her eyes widened in shock. “Kaide, I can’t.”

“You can child, and you will.” Kaide said with encouragement. “Kai knows when and if we will see each other again. I bought these robes for your mother. They were to be her’s when she completed her training. It is only right they be passed to you.” She touched Sayuri’s face with a proud smile. “You are a Keeper, there is nothing left I can teach you. You are now teaching me.”

Sayuri gave the woman a tearful hug and excused herself to change, leaving Kaide and Trunks to wait outside. Kaide, wasting no time, grabbed Trunks arm tightly and whispered a warning. “I know you plan to protect her, as you well should. I fear for her soul, though she has been raised pure, she cannot control the corruption that flows through her blood. Harbringer’s cave will test her, do not let her fail or it will be the end for you both. ”

Sayuri returned with a smile on her face in her new ensemble, though she felt she hadn’t deserved such a gift she was grateful. She looked forward to returning home for her Keeper’s ceremony. With one final hug and a wave to Kaide Sayuri set out leading the way for Trunks. What would have been half a day’s travel on foot amounted to little more than 15 minutes in flight. The cave was set back in an overly forested ledge of the mountain. The entrance was small, but Sayuri knew from many years of studies it winded into a labyrinth of corridors that blurred into an endless puzzle.

She pulled a flashlight out of her bag and handed it to Trunks. “This place is designed to lose you, and I can’t let that happen. Stay close to me,” she warned.

Pulling her own flashlight out and turning it on she took the first tentative steps into the cave. Within minutes they were swallowed by darkness. She shuddered at the thought of her nightmare. The walls were littered with symbols that to the unknowing appeared to be ancient paintings. Sayuri knew better, each one was a small piece of a map. She studied each one carefully sometimes for minutes at a time to make sure they were going in the right direction. She could tell by the slight incline they had to be traveling upwards into the mountain. She had all but lost her since of time, her head fuzzy from all the concentration.

Finally after what had seemed like hours she saw a faint glow in the distance behind a stone wall. “We’re getting close,” she said with confidence. She held the flashlight up to the final set of symbols and mumbled them aloud "When the Keeper loses light, the dark taking begins.... That doesn't make any sense."

Instead of a reply there was only silence. Sayuri shone her light in panic unable to find him. All she could hear was an eerie scratching as the darkness closed in around her.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
WC:1,873/4,233
TTC: 8,171

Last edited by Sayuri on 2/3/2012, 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Aqua
Aqua
Champion
Champion

Character Info

Back to top Go down

Post by Goku 2/2/2012, 8:49 pm

Sayuri squeezed Trunks's hand. He squeezed back a little, showing he was there for support. Kaide was silent, lost in deep in thought.

“Looking at you two, I have seen things you do not yet realize. The travel to Harbinger’s Cave is not a dangerous one. However the true danger lies within,” Kaide said. She stood up and went over to her work bench, rummaging through her stuff. A moment later she returned and pressed a small pouch of herbs into Sayuri's hand. The two then had an exchange of words, of which Trunks could not hear.

Sayuri proceeded to set up Trunks a sleeping pallet next to the crackling hearth. She had a bed upstairs in the loft, and after the two exchanged their good nights, climbed up there. Trunks plopped down next to the dying flames, leaning back on his pillow with his arms behind his head. For a long time he lay there, his mind racing with thoughts and uncertainties. After an hour or so, his eyes began to feel heavy and he pulled the covers over him, falling asleep.

The sound of roosters crowing and subsequent splashing of fisherman's nets woke Trunks up. A dim light filled the hut, indicating to him that it was very early, just a little bit past dawn. Groggy, he rolled to his stomach and pushed himself to his feet. He figured it wouldn't be long until Sayuri and Kaide woke, so he went to the window, looking out at the lake. Several canoes were set out across the river with tan-skinned men unraveling long woven nets. They shouted amongst each other as they arranged the best way to set them in the water.

Sayuri climbed down from the loft and went to the river to wash her face. Kaide, who greeted Trunks warmly, began to cook a breakfast. The scent of bacon and eggs soon flying filled the hut, the smoky aroma enough to start Trunks's salivating.

The mission ahead made for a grim feeling as they sat down to eat. Kaide attempted a few jokes, mostly aimed at Trunks. He played a good sport about them, often chiming back in with his own semi-witty remarks. Although, it seemed the old Keeper a professional smart-ass and he just couldn't keep up. After they cleaned up, Kaide went to a chest beneath the window and used a skeleton key to open it. She produced some elaborate robes, folded in a neat stack.

“I have a gift for you, child,” Kaide said as she crossed the room to Sayuri, who had just finished washing the last dish and was drying her hands off on a towel.

Sayuri's eyes widened in shock. “Kaide, I can’t.”

“You can child, and you will.” Kaide said. “Kai knows when and if we will see each other again. I bought these robes for your mother. They were to be her’s when she completed her training. It is only right they be passed to you. You are a Keeper, there is nothing left I can teach you. You are now teaching me.”

The two hugged and Trunks couldn't help but form a solemn smile. It felt good to see Sayuri have such a loving and caring person in her life. When she had told Trunks about her parents being gone, he had felt a great sorrow from her. Trunks always had his mother, who had taken care of him. Yes, his Father had been a hard man and a warrior, but with the whole of his extended family, he was raised with plenty of love. Kaide wasn't Sayuri's blood, but she was certainly the most influential person in her life.

Sayuri ran off to change and Kaide turned her attention to Trunks, grabbing his arm gently and pulling him close for a whisper. “I know you plan to protect her, as you well should. I fear for her soul, though she has been raised pure, she cannot control the corruption that flows through her blood. Harbinger’s Cave will test her, do not let her fail or it will be the end for you both.”

Trunks narrowed his eyes. “You're not the first to give me such a warning about her.”

Defeat washed over him. If anything happened to Sayuri, if she did anything, he didn't know what he could do. It's not like he would fight her. How could he stop her, or better yet, how could he save her from herself? Sayuri emerged a moment later, dressed in the robes Kaide had provided for her. Trunks's eyes widened and his eyebrows perked. Her beauty astonished him.

“W-wow Sayuri, you look stunning,” Trunks said.

After exchanging good byes outside, Sayuri floated into the air and flew off towards the mountain. Trunks followed after, the wind whipping through his hair and roaring in his ears.

Dark, dank—Harbinger's Cave seemed very much an average cave. Trunks walked behind Sayuri, aiming his flash light over her shoulder. The combined rays of light from each of their flashlights did well to cut a swath through the thick darkness. The walls were smiley, covered in pale yellow mosses and brown slick brown lichens. As they made their descent, Sayuri stopped to decipher arcane symbols that had been engraved into the smooth walls.

“We’re getting close,” she said.

In the distance Trunks could see what looked like a dull light emanating from the cracks of what looked like a stone wall.

As the neared it, they could see it was in fact a massive circular door covered in more strange runes. Sayuri began to study them, muttering a few of the strange words as she concentrated. Trunks had a bad feeling about what lie behind the door, but merely turned, guarding their rear, as as she worked her magic. He folded his arms in front of him.

Deep in thought, he didn't even see what Sayrui had done to get the door open. There was a loud groan inside the cave wall and the door rolled open. Cool air flooded past them. As Trunks turned back around, he saw Sayuri vanishing into the shadows, her flashlight off.

“Hey w-wait for me!”

Although he couldn't see her, he felt her ki signature. She was on the move and fast, almost unnaturally fast, like she was trying to escape him. Fumbling with his flashlight, he pointed it ahead of him as he charged down then tunnel, hoping to catch up with her.

Eventually he found himself in large chamber in what appeared to be the core of the mountain. The soft crimson glow of this chamber was not a natural occurrence. He felt a dark energy, an insidious power like none other. As he looked around, he saw that the light was emanating from a single flame.

Trunks saw Sayuri's form in the heart of the flame. The long strands of her pink hair fluttered in all directions as the dark power surged around her. Her ki was growing and fast, so much so that Trunks was rendered speechless. Her signature was at had already surpassed his and was steadily rising. He could see her hands and fingers had been morphed into long sharp raven's talons.

She was transforming into her demon form.

As he neared her, he realized she was standing before what looked like a giant obsidian gateway. Along the circumference of the gate was a set ancient runes pulsating with a dull yellow light. Lime green energy began to permeate from the edges, swirling towards the center of the circle. Bolts of yellow electricity shot forth from the heart of the gateway, snaking through the chamber.

Trunks didn't know what to do. This was the moment he had been warned about. Sayuri's dark side had taken hold and she was opening some sort of dark gateway. To where, he didn't have a clue, but he doubted it was going to be to rainbows and ponies land.

“Sayuri!” he shouted and rested a hand on her shoulder. “Stop this madness.”

An invisible shockwave of ki slammed into him and he flew back on to his back, sliding across the floor of the cave. Clamoring to his feet, a second wave hit him, this time knocking him as far back as the entrance of the chamber.

“No!” he shouted, powerless to help her.

---

WC: 1,403
TWC: 5,321
Thread Total: 9,574
Goku
Goku
Staff
Staff

Character Info

Back to top Go down

Post by Aqua 2/3/2012, 5:20 am

“Hey w-wait for me!” Trunks screamed

His words were all but lost to her. She felt herself gliding, sinking into the darkness of her mind. Like her dream the darkness was taking her over. Sayuri could feel an unspeakable amount of pain wrack her body, as if her very blood was boiling. Her world was a black fire.

“Trunks!..... TRUNKS! HELP ME!!” Sayuri screamed sobbing in pain.

“You will find no help here Halfling….” A voice hissed inside the darkness.

“Who’s there!” Sayuri called angrily.

“You are here, I am here, I am you…” the voice replied. “Come to us Sayuri, we know your true worth.”

An insidious red glow washed out her sight. A faint “No” echoing in the distance. This feeling was unlike anything she had ever experienced. She felt her skin slicing on her fingertips, claws extracting against her will. An anger raised in her she had never known. She fought with all her will to stop it.

“I am not this creature!” she screamed.

“Oh but you are,” the voice sneered maliciously.

As if in a looking glass the red glow gave way to a shimmering fog. Sayuri saw Trunks’ form walking towards her frantically putting a hand on her shoulders. She gasped in horror as she saw herself strike him hard, over and over again.

“Stop it! STOP! This isn’t me! TRUNKS!” Her frantic sobbing only coaxed a wicked laugh.

“You weakling!” it spat. “You do not get the luxury of love. Pathetic! You will kill him.”

“I will not,” she said defiance saturated her voice.

“Your heart is black, you cannot deny the corruption that flows through your blood, and your life force!” Little more than a sound of metal slicing through the air gave her warning to react. She felt a stinging on her cheek and quickly brought her hand towards it. Pulling back she saw a smear of blood.

“You will need much more to kill me,” Sayuri snarled.

“Kill you, oh no, we need you alive. You will give into us.”

Sayuri strained to see Trunks through the haze. Her own reflection frightened her, the looking glass seemed like a cruel lie. The red light was visible all around her. She realized it was her aura that caused the glow in what once was the darkness. Her hair flared around her mortal body, her eyes glazed over. Sayuri gasped as she noticed a small cut trickling crimson liquid from her cheek.

A defeated Trunks looked on in dismay. She watched herself relentlessly strike him over and over. He refused to hit her back, merely attempting to block each one of her blows. She could tell he was weakening; small cuts and bruises riddled his body. She screeched in frustration.

“Pathetic Halfling” the voice sneered again. “You will give in to the darkness or he will die!”

“I will die before I give into you!” She screamed.

“Then you will watch him die!”

The beating seemed to be endless; no matter how hard Sayuri fought for control she knew she had none. He was going to die either by her hand or the corruption. She knew there was only one choice to save him. She walked as far as he boundaries would allow her and knelt beside the vision of his form.

“Trunks, I don’t know if you can hear me. But please, please tell Kaide this isn’t her fault,” Sayuri sobbed. “I love you.” With those final words she stood and faced the direction of her captor’s voice.

“So you have conceded” the voice resounded victoriously.

“I will never let the darkness take my soul!” Sayuri brought her claws in front of her chest. “You can go to hell!” With every ounce of strength she could gather she drove her claws into her heart.

The insidious screeching of the evil entity echoed in her ears.

She felt the looking glass shatter and reality came crashing around her as she felt herself crumple to the ground, gasping for any form of breath. She fought to maintain consciousness. The pain was blinding at first, and then began to numb into a void. Sayuri felt peace for the first time in her life. She knew she would die slowly, but she didn’t care. Trunks’ would be safe and that was all that mattered.

“Trunks,” she coughed as she felt him coming to her side. “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry….. Take the Dragon Tear, Kaide will save you.”

She could feel her lungs slowly filling with blood, and the over whelming urge to sleep came over her. She closed her eyes dreamily, at peace with her maker and whispered “Tell Kaide I wouldn’t let the darkness take me. I’m tired.” Not able to hold on any longer Sayuri let herself fade into darkness, not knowing why the sound of the ocean filled her ears.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
WC: 810/5,043
TTC: 10,384[quote]
Aqua
Aqua
Champion
Champion

Character Info

Back to top Go down

Post by Goku 2/4/2012, 2:34 am

Theme

Trunks could barely believe how immense Sayuri's ki had become. Wreathed in crimson flames, she stood before the gateway, the entire cavern shaking. Chips of rock and pebbles floated up all around her and then shattered into thousands if bits from the immense pressure of her power.

Damn, he thought as he found his footing. She's going to bring this whole place down! She's nearly as powerful as a Super Saiyan!"

The green energy within the obsidian circle finally stopped swirling, becoming a single field. Sayuri raised one sharp talon, pointing it at the center of the gateway. A bead of black ki surrounded by pink electricity appeared at the end of her claw and started swelling, until it was nearly as big as her entire body.

With a flick of her wrist, she sent the sphere flying at the gateway. It made impact with the green fieldi and the entire chamber erupted with chaotic energy. Trunks brought his arms in front of him, shielding eyes from the retina searing light.

The shaking finally stopped. Trunks lowered his arms, looking beyond Sayuri's blazing form, at the gateway it. A portal had been opened. Beyond was what looked like a hellish wasteland—the Demon Realm.

"Sayuri," Trunks muttered, feeling powerless and frustrated. "Why?"

Hearing him, she floated a few inches off the ground and turned slowly, facing him. Her once soft and cheerful blue eyes had become black slits with insidious red irises. She bore no emotion, merely a sterile expression that sent chills down Trunks's spine. The woman he had come to love was not there. This was someone else. And whoever it was, it had taken ahold of her, most likely using her demonic blood as a catalyst.

It's not her. I can survive this, Trunks said as he steeled himself for the beating that was about to come.

Sayuri vanished. Trunks tried to track her movements, but it was only in vain. When he finally locked onto her signature, she was standing beside him. Talons shredded through the back of his shoulders, cutting deep groves into the meat of his arm and across his ribs. The force of the swipe sent him hurtling through the air.

He managed to correct his position and stop his momentum with a pulse of ki. Blows rained down on his back. His skin tattered like paper mache, blood and shreds of fabric flinging everywhere. The agony was horrendous and he couldn't help scream he let out. Spinning around, he brought his arms up in time to stop the next series of strikes on the meat of his arms. Sayuri flew up, her knee slammed into the bridge of his nose. It shattered the cartilage and bone Crimson poured out of his nostrils, down his face, covering his chest.

His white aura enveloped him as he tried to flee towards the other side of the chamber. A black Sokidan chased after him. He attempted to juke out of the way, but it tracked his every twist and turn, eventually colliding with small of his back. It generated a massive explosion that nearly brought down the whole chamber.

Streamers of smoke rose from his frame as he lie face down on the floor. As he clamored to his feet, it became evident that his clothing had been reduced to nothing more than charred and blood stained rags. Both of his arms hung limp at his side. His left shoulder was dislocated and he was pretty sure his right arm was broken in three or four places. He couldn't move it one bit.

"Is that all you got?" Trunks, chiding the demon. "Sayuri hits a hell of a lot harder than you do." He spat out blood, and forcing a big grin. "I'm a Saiyan. I live for this shit. So, bring it on!"

Her face twisted into a snarl and she brought her hand up to her chest. Trunks figured she was about to charge up another ki attack, most likely one big enough to bring the entire mountain down on top of him. But, she didn't, instead driving her own her talons into her heart.

His eyes widened in surprise. Something within his own heart twisted and broke, spilling the contents of his love out. It came out as a roar of agony and fear. The pain and horror in his own voice surprised him and before he knew it he was across the chamber at her side. Sayuri had fallen to the ground. The dark ki had faded from her and her eyes were blue again, blue as the ocean. The claws retracted, revealing slender human fingers.

“Trunks,” Sayuri said, coughing up blood. “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry….. Take the Dragon Tear, Kaide will save you.”

To his side he heard a loud crack, followed by an avalanche of rock. As much as he didn't want to take his eyes off of Sayuri, he turned his head to see what had happened. The gateway had collapsed on itself, without her power to fuel it, and was now nothing more than heap of smoking slag. Behind where it had stood, he saw a crystalline formation and a bright red light pulsating from the center.

"H-hold on Sayuri," Trunks said and pressed his lips against hers in a passionate kiss. His tears were hot coals as the rolled down his cheeks, splattering on hers. "I love you. You can't die, not yet."

With a jerking motion, he popped his left shoulder into place, gritting through the lancing pain it caused. Pushing himself to his feet, he vanished and re-appeared next to the crystalline formation, the air displacing around him with a loud whoosh.

The Dragon's Tear was the most beautiful flower he had ever seen in his entire life. It sat within the core of the crystals, floating in a little puddle of shimmering blue water. It was a crimson lily pad with a blooming ruby red flower, etched with veins of gold. He removed his torn up jacket and the slid off his tank top. With a shaky hand he scooped it from the puddle and wrapped it gently in the tank top, forming a sort of basket. He tied it off and then looped around his belt, pulling a tight knot, so it could dangle from his waist.

He returned to Sayuri and placed a hand on the side of her face. Both of her eyes were closed now, tears still flowing down the side of her face. He couldn't bear to look at her wound, instead focusing on her beauty. Her breaths were shallow, so he knew that if he didn't get her to help right away, she would not survive.

It had been a long time since had used the artifact, for fear of its its power claiming his life. But, he had no choice. Besides, his life meant nothing if Sayuri wasn't in it. He knew that now.

The bronze disc of the Chronarium, looking similar to a sundial, dangled from a chain around his neck, resting upon his chest. It was adorned with multicolored gems and ancient magical runes. To use its time bending magic, he need only commit himself to the cause. The Chromium relied on conviction to activate its magic.

Closing his eyes, he thought of Kaide's hut. Even though he couldn't see it, the Chronarium came to life, the gems pulsating with a soft glow. The air around Trunks and Sayuri seemed to ripple, as if they were beneath the surface of the pond.

When he opened his eyes again, he was kneeling before the door of the hut, Sayuri lying before him, just as they had been in the cave. The Chronarium drew upon his ki to power its magic, so the wave of vertigo slammed into him caused him to slump back. Normally such a small jump would have only have been mildly draining, but Sayuri's beat down had left him badly injured.

It wouldn't be long before he passed out himself. "Kaide!" he screamed. "Come quick!"

The old woman charged to the door way, opening it quickly. Upon seeing their ravished forms, she dropped a jar she had been holding, which shattered at her feet. The dried herbs that had made up contents, scattered to the wind.

"By Kami! What happened to you two?" she said.

"It's a long story. My arm is broken," Trunks said, pointing to the twisted and gnarled limb. "You'll have to help me carry her inside.”

With Kaide's help, they were able to get Sayuri inside. The old woman, in a frantic rush, cleared off the kitchen table with one sweep of her arm. She tore open Sayuri's shirt, examining the wound above her breast. She began to shout commands to Trunks. He fetched supplies from the shelves above her workbench, before long he had am armful of jars and vials. She snatched them from him and began to grind them into a paste, using a mortar and pestle.

"I'm going to make a healing poultice," she said. "But, her wound is very bad. I don't know if it will do the job."

"The Dragon's Tear," Trunks said and untied it from his waist. He set it gently on the table beside Sayuri and unraveled it, the room immediately becoming bathed in its red glow. “You said it has great magical power. Use it!"

Kaide looked hesitant. "But, it was supposed to heal you of your corruption, was it not?"

"Dammit," Trunks said slamming his fist on the table. "Who cares about me? Sayuri is about to die."

Kaide nodded. "I won't need to use the whole thing anyway." She used a knife to cut off a few petals, adding them to the paste she was creating. The paste, which was a dull gray-green color, soon turned bring red as she continued to work it in.

Kaide let out a sigh of relief when she finished, globing the paste into Sayuri's chest wound, packing it deep as she could with her fingers. As the magic of the Dragon's Tear worked its way into her bloodstream, Trunks saw the veins beneath her skin glowing bright.

Sayuri let out a sudden gasp and lurched forward.

"What is happening?" Trunks said.

"It is bringing her soul back from the brink," Kaide said. "Patience, it will take time."

Trunks slumped into a nearby chair, pressing his hands into his face, his leg jumping rapidly from nerves. He was powerless, and could only wait and see what happened.

---

WC: 1,758
TWC: 7,079
Thread Total: 12,142
Goku
Goku
Staff
Staff

Character Info

Back to top Go down

Post by Aqua 2/6/2012, 2:36 am

Sayuri had often wondered what it would be like to die. It was something that frightened her to the bone, but dying to save the people you love was different. She just wished she had the courage to tell people what she really thought.

Trunks leaned over her with tears in his eyes. She wasn’t sure what hurt worse, the pain in her chest from the wound or the pain in her heart from having caused him so much damage. His nose was broken and his face was swollen, but his eyes still held all the beauty and sadness she had come to love.

The blood in her ears roared like ocean waves. She could feel her pulse slowing, and finally she gave in to the overwhelming urge to close her eyes.
Am I dead yet?

Sayuri opened her eyes slowly letting them adjust to the dim light of the house. She had been set on a soft palate on the floor in front of the hearth, and Trunks sat slumped against the wall asleep. As quietly as she could manage, Sayuri sat up feeling the full force of her stiff bones and gaping wounds. She felt like she had a cement brick on her chest. She wanted fresh air and she didn’t care if she was supposed to be resting.

Slowly rising to her feet, she gently placed the blanket over Trunks and slipped silently outside. The sky was mostly a pale purple blue with the exception of the fluorescent orange gathering at the horizon. Although day was just breaking, the air was humid and balmy. Sayuri saw a chair by the lake and decided that would be good enough refuge.

She sank heavily into the seat and scooted forward just enough to place her feet absently mindedly in the water. The cool embrace around her toes was just the shock she needed to get her mind going. She strained to remember what happened in Harbringer’s cave. The insidious voice, the looking glass, Trunks….

Everything came in small blurs. She gingerly pulled the shoulders of her robe down, peeled the gauze back, and inspected her wounds. Thin black stitches danced along what looked like a fresh pink scar. Kaide’s sewing was flawless, even on the injured. She smiled and shook her head.

What Sayuri couldn’t figure out was how Trunk’s had gotten her back on time. She remembered his swollen face and grimaced at the thought of being capable of such damage. An image of his lips on hers flashed bright in her memory, causing her to raise her hands to her own. Did he really, or was that in my head? She didn’t know what to think, what could have been one of the most defining moments in the entire course of knowing him and there was a big chance it was all a near death illusion. Sayuri let out a small huff and kicked droplets of water into the air.

“So many mornings I would wake to find the house empty,” Kaide’s voice startled her. “I would worry you’d run to the water and drown, and yet I would find you here on the bank, toes wiggling and a smile on your face, just as you are now.” She put a comforting hand on Sayuri’s shoulder her eyes brimming with tears. “I thought I was going to lose you.”

Sayuri placed her hand on Kaide’s and spoke above a whisper “I thought I was going to die….. Kaide what happened? Why am I still here?”

“I’m not even sure myself. Your warrior showed up out of nowhere screaming outside my door. He was in a terrible condition and you…. Your chest was mangled. How did that happen?”

“Something happened in the cave Kaide. Once second I was with him and the next there was darkness. I heard a voice, and I could see myself. There was a red aura all around me. I watched myself hurt him Kaide, like I was stuck in a snow globe watching it all happen. It wasn’t me.” Sayuri choked back a sob and continued.

“It wanted me alive; it was going to kill him if I didn’t come with it. I didn’t know how to stop it, I could feel the anger trying to take me, the darkness seeping into my heart. I did the only thing I could think of, I used my claws on myself... I didn’t care if I died, not as long as Trunks was alright….. I knew he would save you.”

“What you felt was your father child. Bitterness, anger, and resentment…. You are a Halfling in blood, but your heart is all human. Your soul is more pure than the corruption in your blood.” Kaide’s words were strange to Sayuri. She had rarely acknowledged the demon in her apprentice aloud before.

“How did you heal me, Kaide?”

The woman’s face softened as she sat on the bank next to Sayuri. “I used the Dragon’s tear.” Noting the panicked expression on her face Kaide held a hand up before Sayuri could interject. “Your wounds were too deep, and he insisted. I only used a small portion on the poultice, the rest I administered to him 2 days ago. I feared the outcome, but it seemed to be enough to quell his corruption”

“2 days ago….. I’ve been asleep so long?”

“Yes, child” Kaide said gently. “Your warrior has refused to leave your side, not even to eat. I have brought all his meals to him…… there is something I have been meaning to warn you of.”

“What’s that?” Sayuri said voice etched with tension.

“The warrior seems to have had a reaction to the tear, I fear you may grow a tail.” Kaide said furrowing her eyebrows in thought.

Sayuri burst out in laughter much to Kaide’s confusion. "So the tear really does heal everything!" she exclaimed. Sayuri couldn’t wait to catch a peek at his new feature; she couldn’t wait to pull it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
WC: 1,000/6,043
TTC: 13,142
Aqua
Aqua
Champion
Champion

Character Info

Back to top Go down